Monday, November 19, 2007

Joe's Gift


This is Rhonda writing, “Joe’s Sweetheart”. Today is Joe’s 19th Anniversary in Heaven!! No one has affected me/left a mark in just the same way as Joe did…

Joe had a special gift—a chronic condition that FOCUSED his life… At only 18 months old, he was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. He always knew that he was not long for this Earth. So, Joe loved hard, played hard, and gave very generously of himself. Joe’s profession was singing (Tenor) in Church, Chorals, “Broadway” Musicals. Also rebuilding organs & tuning pianos. MOST of the time, he charged pittance because his heart was in the right place. (Many stories of that were shared at his funeral.)

Many years before, Joe’s doctors had predicted a life-span of 30 years. Well, he put up a big fight, including six months of attached dialysis, but in his 30th year, Joe’s heart gave out.

I must say I wanted “something that Joe had touched” from his family—as a memento. ‘Twas not forthcoming. Then I realized… Joe had touched ME—profoundly. I live fuller, more focused & in-the-minute because of his influence on my life!

Oh, the unconditional love that Joe shared with me… That love that healed a wounded spot inside (we all have them, eh). The music, the laughter, the soul sharing that was our lot-- in abundance—as we daily walked together. As we shared the stages of dying together…

But, something else—something lovely came out of being with Joe (besides a treasury box inside of feeling adored and unconditionally loved). Twelve years ago, I started volunteering at a long-term care centre (formerly called nursing homes, eh), Grace Dart. There, I’m part of the pastoral and palliative care team. I “see” Joe everyday. I thank him for my vocation/for teaching me the way, much more than any courses I complete.

Five years ago, I met the retired Executive Director of Grace Dart, “Tony” van de Ven, when his wife was a resident there. Today we are married. And, Tony adores me and loves me unconditionally!! He, too, is a righteous man, loved by everyone. Thank you, Joe, for showing me the way, for showing me that this is what I deserve.

I will always carry Joe in my heart--“Sweethearts” forever. “I love you, Joe.” “And I, you.”

2 comments:

Melissa said...

It sounds like Joe was a wonderful man. I'm sure the anniversary of his death is a hard day for you just as it is when anyone loses a loved one. (((HUGS))))

Kat said...

That is such a touching story! It really made me all warm and fuzzy as I drink my morning coffee. Thanks for sharing!