Sunday, December 2, 2007

Embracing Diversity


“Homo sapiens”, one of numerous life forms on our Planet--to which your Blogger and the esteemed reader belong--are at the top of the heap as far as brain power is concerned. Furthermore, they have a remarkable capacity for reasoning. This power can be finely honed by education, experience, a desire to belong, and interest in other members of the species.
These “other” members come with numerous sizes, colours, beliefs, languages and traditions. How do YOU fit in? How do THEY fit in?…
Several weeks ago, I participated in a workshop titled “Embracing Diversity”. It was given at Concordia University. I will spare you a full report of the three-hour exercises. What sticks in my mind, though, is…
During one exercise, the 20 participants stepped forward every time a “label” was called to which they could answer in the affirmative. For example: “I am a man”. (I walked forward.) These questions were to be answered truthfully.
Following is a list of statements/labels which I have compiled for this Blog…

I AM EQUAL
I am man
I am woman
I am coloured*
I am colourless*
I am gay
I am bisexual
I am straight
I am lesbian
I am poor
I am well-to-do
I am homeless
I am a prisoner
I am an agnostic
I am a believer
I am an atheist
I am a refugee
I am a citizen
I am an immigrant
I am well-educated
I am illiterate
I am physically challenged
I am mentally challenged
I am linguistically challenged
* writer’s privilege
I AM EQUAL

While reading the above list, you probably took several steps “forward” in your mind. For some people, this is hard to do. But, I do it with pride and all assurance, because I am who I am and that means:
I am Equal.
This Equality, dear Reader, is one of the contributing factors to our beautiful world and life. Unfortunately, very unfortunately, it does not always work out like this. There are “homo sapiens”--our brothers and sisters--who have to work on their quality of reasoning. They are, in various degrees…

Angry at the world and everything/everyone in it
Biased
Incapable of loving, giving or forgiving
Distrusting
Apprehensive, afraid of anyone different from self
Prejudiced
Jealous
Gossipers
Discriminating
Oppressing
Racist
Ethnocentric
Homophobic
Sexist

These characteristics, which we all know and recognize in certain people (perhaps ourselves), unfortunately blemish our environment.
These “homo sapiens”, too, can have a happy life. Education and learning--from within or without--will put us on the path to “HOW to Be”!!
I know of what I speak, as I have had 79 years of learning, within/without. For this, I could name and thank many people. All of different sizes, colours, tastes, nationalities and ideas. Suffice it for me to express my gratitude for the teachings of my wife, RHOnda, with whom I will complete a five-years’ course next year.
“La vie est belle!”
The Bloghead, Tony
PS Any comments you wish to post will be used for the Bloggers final examination next year and will, therefore, be much appreciated!!

1 comment:

Donna Hodgson said...

Ok, I'll be brave and comment:

Since God is the creator of all things (including homosapiens, as the scientific world calls us), where in the Bible does it say "embrace diversity"? Where is God in this list you've created? For that matter, where is His list?

Just checking in...with thoughts from above. :)