Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Home Again, Home Again--Ziggity Zig

Have you ever had something as a child that you “wish” you could have back again?? That holds a wonderful memory?? Well, here’s my story…
Once upon a time, there was a 12-yrs. girl named Rhonda (coincidence, eh!!) who had a Kenmore sewing machine. I made my Mom’s & my clothing, as "Petite" sizes were not invented way back then. After two (2) years’ experience, my Dad figured I could make fly net covers & foam mattress covers for camping stuff. I also re-covered the inside of his VW roof. There were NO Simplicity patterns for these projects!! But, everything turned out great!!
It’s funny--the difference between my Mom’s and my taste in clothing!! SHE likes “la mode”, the “in thing”… I enjoy classic clothing for me, so made a beautiful, brocade-with-silver-thread-roses dress; also sheath dresses, a plaid jacket & solid skirt suit, costumes for French plays and nightgowns, too!!
I really did LOVE sewing as a teen!! And, my Kenmore sewing machine worked SO well!! (Or, maybe I was more confident—and easier to fit—then!!) Anyway, I couldn’t have been luckier!! Our next-door neighbour was a lovely woman who taught Home-Economics. Barb held my hand & taught me “the right way” to sew.
When I was 18 yrs. old, my Kenmore and I parted, and that was that. It had been a wonderful friend, a companion. Now, fast forward… I have since acquired other Kenmore machines. And I am re-enjoying sewing!! (See side bar for Pillows, rabbits, etc.) But, I’ve always had nice, albeit melancholic, thoughts of my old Kenmore.
But W-A-I-T!! “Lo & behold!!” Recently, along came a “Classified - For Sale” advertisement in my favourite website, “PatternReview.com”. It was my ORIGINAL sewing machine!! “A workhorse, a wonderful machine.” All medal parts. AND, more importantly, MY machine!!—a precious memory from my childhood. I wanted it AGAIN!!
Today, though the efforts of--and many thanks to--“got2bjennyg” of Pattern Review, my darling Tony, and our “Forever Friend” Tom, it’s finally MINE!
“HA HA” is Home Again, Home Again, Ziggity-Zig.

Rhonda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

got2bjennyg said...
Thanks for sharing your Kenmore story!

January 9, 2008 5:31 PM

Anonymous said...

That's cool! Hope you'll enjoy it as much as in your memories.

I wish I could find an Omega machine like the one my mom had and threw away while I was traveling in Europe! I'm still a little mad at her for this...

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

My first sewing machine was a 99 dollar Kenmore too! I sewed everything with that little machine that only went forward and reverse! What happy memories!

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased to hear that you have been reunited and Ken now more than less unravel the past ! I suspect this sewful moment will lead to new threads in your blog adding to the patchwork of you life. With this I expect the surge(r) will have to gather dust bunnies because Ken(sew)more now is going to pattern a new beginning in his new home.

Enjoy!

Paul