Sunday, May 25, 2008

"Advanced Beginner's Stash Contest??!! *

It’s inspiration time again at PatternReview.com!! Two (2), fun-for-me contests that will start June 1st:

- ADVANCED BEGINNER CONTEST (runs one month). This is a chance to try out a new skill—in other words to “Advance”!! It’s been 40 years since I’ve set in a zipper… However, the only problem there is that I’m a passionate button LOVER!! My very favourite part of sewing is picking out buttons!!
So, I could try altering the neckline of a vest pattern. (McCall’s M4562.) I made a muslin, along with my sewing teacher, four (4) years ago. Although I had chosen the pattern to have a warm under-garment in the wintertime, the high-necked, five (5) buttons now seem QUITE uptight looking/feeling.


I hope to alter my muslin with the neckline below (McCall’s M5186, View C). This is a 1st step for me--altering one pattern with another. Muslin-fixin’ can start now. THEN, I’ll have a four-button, more V-necked vest, eh. The project will also give me much-needed practice with Princess seams. Thanks to “Rosebeee” for words of wisdom in her Pattern Review!! I have some “tiger” corduroy plus brown Bemberg lining and brown piping (another 1st!!) for the vest…


-STASH CONTEST (runs two months). This contest is about reducing “stash” that was bought before 2008. ‘Remember “stash”?? That’s all that fabric that’s been horded in drawers, boxes, bags. As of New Year’s Eve, I had 196 meters (215 yards), eh!!
My chosen projects--for now-- take wee amounts of fabric, though!! Tee! Hee! I want to make several “letter” pillows for two pre-teen gals, “P A” & “Y A” for their beds. It will be a fun project to do together. The girls can create their own, unique designs with buttons, lace, ribbon, etc.
Then, there’s a long-overdue thank-you present to make… With pleasure!!

I NEED sew-along contests like these to get me started. For the FUN of it!! I’ll keep you sewing gals posted, ok?

RHOTO

* Not a pic of MY stash… I’m MUCH more organized!!

6 comments:

Keely said...

I'll be entering the stash contest too. I need to get some out of my cupboards (last estimate was in excess of a kilometres worth. 1000m!!!) Eek! I look forward to seeing what you make.

Rhoto said...

Jeepers, Keely!!
1,000m of stash!! You must have the "Stash Queen" crown, for sure!! Tee! Hee!
Warm greetings,
RHOnda, "Private Message Queen"

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the contests!

I'm flattered to see my blog in your Favorites To Visit! Thanks!

Sherril said...

Hi Rhonda, I'll join you in the contest but I think I'll join later. I have to cut back on expenses and sewing up the stash seems like a good place I can make the cut. I sure hope DH appreciates it.

Donna Hodgson said...

Hi Rhonda sweetie. I tagged you in a meme going around. Have fun cause I KNOW you'll participate!! HAHAHAHAHA

Kat said...

Have fun in the contest, Rhonda! Stash contests are great.