Saturday, February 7, 2009

Nurse Sylvain's "Biography Scarf"


Well, I FINALLY got one (1) done!! A scarf, that is... I made a "biography scarf" (my term, eh) for TOny's wonderful homecare nurse, Sylvain. As follows:
- I used polar bears to represent his 2 years in Inuit country. Slanted it to "say" that those memories are in the past, but also going forward.
- Double-sewed soft blue fleece on to signify "sunny days ahead".
- Sewed the outline of "wings" on the front (he has plans in his head to volunteer in S. America) and show the actual, red wings on the backside (wings are ready when he is to fly).
- He's not a conventional thinker, so didn't add fringe to each side. Instead, had one side bare (reflects his love of solitude) and other side doubled--with both soft blue and polar bear fleece (4" fringe length). Sylvain loves being with people; the fringe also looks like piano keys--he plays Bach.
WHY do I share all this?? 'Cos if you'd enjoy it, I HIGHLY recommend "putting together" a biography for someone special!! Sylvain was very pleased ;)
RHOnda

4 comments:

Kat said...

Rhonda, That's amazingly creative!

Rhoto said...

THANKS, Kat!! It's lots easier for me to create than to make!!
Soft hugs,
Rhonda

Donna Hodgson said...

Yes, I use all my machines, but not at the same time. I don't have the room to set up more than 2 of them. So, when I've got a project, I just think about which machine I'd LIKE to use and use it. They set up and down pretty easy. Thanks.

Donna Hodgson said...

Well, right now I'm finishing a UFO for Cindi from the quilt shop. It's her personal quilt and I wanted something to do this weekend. She gave me this one to finish putting together and two more quilts that just need borders added to them.

So, for this piecing, I started with the 222 but then realize it isn't too smooth yet. I need to take the throat plate off and carefully file the needle hole so that it's smooth. Then sew with it more. So I brought up "old Faithful", the 301. She's very quiet and smooth and is great for quilt piecing.

The last quilt I pieced I used the 15-91, which is also a great machine. So this time, I decided to use the 301.

See, I kinda rotate them around. Got it?