Thursday, June 18, 2009

It Ain't Pretty, It's My Swayback??



In pic #1, I'm standing "regular" (i.e., poor posture :( ). My new, ready-to-wear ("RTW") skirt slides down in the front. My skirt is about 1-1/2" higher than my waist in the back... Maybe the skirt is supposed to hang 1" below my waistline, but the back still is a bit high... In pic #2, I see my "usual" bunching of fabric at my back "waist"...
Is this a swayback? It's the same, regardless of my size :(... DON'T tell me it's the dreaded bum fluff ;)....
And, as I look at these pics, I see (maybe) a forward head, rounded back, funny-hanging arms, pulls on top (FBA?)... No wonder I keep sewing stuffed neck rolls!!
Thanks for your truthful input!!
RHOnda

5 comments:

Keely said...

Soory Rhonda, I have no idea. Is this what someone (was it Sherril?) refers to as a tilted waistline? I know I get the same problem in the back in trousers/jeans when they have a higher waistband.
As for the FBA, I guess it might be, but it could also just be that tees don't have a sewn dart so are always going to have some drag lines.
Hopefully some of the fitting gurus will weigh in with much worthier comments. Have you thought about posting it on Patternreview? A thought occurs to me that wouldn't it be handy to have a thread where we all post photos side-on like you've done and hold a virtual fitting class.

Rhoto said...

Hi Keely!! THANKS for commenting!! WOULDN'T it be wonderful to have a "virtual class" on PR, eh!! Or to do something like this on PR Week-ends ;).
Nice to hear from you again!!
Soft hug,
RHOnda

Anonymous said...

Looks like swayback to me! Or at least something close enough. I have to do a much longer back rise than front rise in my garments.

AnneM

Rhoto said...

Thanks for your visit, AnneM!! :(
Wonder if that will get better as I lose weight... Think maybe it's a "poor stomach muscle" issue, eh... :(
Soft hug,
RHOnda

Kat said...

Rhonda, yes, I call this a "swayback". Although I think technically the puddling of fabric is below the waist on a skirt or pair of pants for a swayback adjustment?

All I know is my "swayback" adjustment occurs ABOVE the waist because I'm short waisted. My boobs take care of the extra fabric in the front so I don't have to alter for that, but I have to remove the excess above the waist in the back via a dart tuck.

As for tilted waistlines, some people have them, some don't. Have you tried tying thin elastic around your waist and wearing it for five minutes while doing normal activities? The elastic is supposed to settle at the natural waist so you'll get a clearer picture of your true waistline. Although that's not always where we want to wear our pants and skirts to sit, huh? I know I could never wear my pants that high! Normal-waisted pants feel like they're strangling me LOL.