Thursday, June 11, 2009

Simplicity Muslin - Finished!!


"Day Three" on such an easy skirt muslin?? ;)
I took my "around the world" basting stitches out and broke the area into two (2) sections at the side seams. Then I gathered the skirt piece BEFORE pinning it to the yoke piece... I don't see WHY not??!! Alot easier that way. (Did I tell ya that this seersucker SHREDS??!!)
Then I cut a comfortable amount of elastic for my middle. Zigzaged the ends together securely. Trimmed off the excess elastic--on the "inside" side!! Ended up with a flat piece of elastic again!! FUNNY, eh!!
Today, TOny helped me pick out a polyester animal print for a "real" skirt. I've never worked with the poly animal, but I like the drape and see it often in RTW, so we'll see.
Tomorrow's another day... "Day Four" on my SIMPLicity muslin ;).
RHOnda

"TOMORROW"...
I attached the elastic as per the above instructions... Turned it under to tack... Well--in this fabric, at least--it makes POOFYS, eh!! So, decided I like it "upside" better... (Better than what??!!)



The finished muslin is done!! I had wanted to check the "waist" and hips--not so easy to figure out when the pattern pieces are strips only, eh... Well, this fit is VERY comfy (translate loose)... Don't think I even needed to alter the yoke and skirt pieces... Practice is GOOD, eh... AND I know to "ignore size #s", but when any/everything I wear is size 10 RTW and this pattern calls for size 20, I don't know...
Will look for this elastic in black... What I WANT are a FEW skirt changes as I skinny down ;). And I don't tuck in my tops at this point, so top elastic won't show. This skirt may be quite nice in a soft, fluid fabric (like my animal print!)TOny asked me if I was going to "wear it"?? Why not??!! I hemmed it 1/4" and have a new, comfy at-home 1/2-of-an-outfit!!

Thanks for all your comments & input!! 'NOT soooo exciting as ConnieBJ's dauther's wedding dress, eh!!

RHOnda

2 comments:

gwensews said...

Hey, you finished your muslin and that is an accomplishment! Good luck going forward with the skirt.

Rhoto said...

THANKS, Gwen!!
Soft hug,
RHOnda