
This project is for the PatternReview.com "Stash Contest"...
Pattern Description: Men's robe, belt, tops, pants and shorts. I previously made DH the shorts... This time the pants: pull-on pants have side seam pockets, casing and drawstring waist.
Pattern Sizing: Y (Small, Medium, Large), Z (X-Large, XX-Large) Covers waists 28-48"s. I used "Medium" for DH--34".
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes, except modifications to waist.

Were the instructions easy to follow? NO!!
1. The pocket application was very confusing!! 'Said to sew right sides together & showed a pic wrong sides together... Thanks to Keely, Kat and Margaret for their help!!!
2. It also said to run the drawstring thru AFTER closing all the seams on the waist casing :0. So, I just "deleted" the wee drawstring altogether.
3. I also measured the side seams the same as DH's pants... Pants could be 1-2" longer... oophs!!
Fabric Used:gingham seersucker
What I learned:
1. Seersucker was DIFFICULT to cut. Rotary blades did not work well. Sheers showed their usual cutting lines/marks.
2. The fabric LOOKS the same on both sides, so I didn't "note" either. WELL, then I THOUGHT I had serged the inner legs--the SAME!! TWO right legs; NO left leg . Then I thought it was correct. Then I doubted myself. FINALLY, I set the legs on the table, looked at them clearly & saw that I had doubled myself for nothing. Next time, I will A-L-W-A-Y-S mark "Front" "Back" "inside/outside".
3. Went "ahead" and serged the pockets together. NOT!! The instructions have you add the pockets to the sides and THEN sew 'em. Since I'm no engineer and couldn't envision HOW to make changes for my "Go Get 'EM" pre-enthusiasm, I cut four (4) new pockets. ALWAYS a good idea to work with more yardage than required, eh!! ;)
4. Thanks to "Annette1"'s comment on her last Review, I FINALLY looked at "More Fabric Savvy" by Sandra Betzina... Seersucker was "tied into" another fabric. SEAMS I needed a walking foot, 12 universal needle & a tiny zig-zag stitch ;) ;) ;) (WAS trying a satin foot, 14 needle, straight stitch--disaster!)
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? DH chose this fabric but had asked for a "fly"... Next time??
Conclusion: Watch your "in's" and "out's" and you'll have a fun, rewarding project ;)
RHOnda
5 comments:
They look great on him.
I do like the look of seersucker, they will be nice and light for summer.
Tony looks very happy with his wonderful pj pants! Well done for getting through those confusing instructions. Judy has had to put up with many phone calls over the years when I've been faced with instructions like that.
Awww...TOon is so cute! :-) He's so blessed to be married to such a loving seamstress!
As I've said before, I sure wish I could sew like you. Great job, friend!
Look at all you learned on Tony's pants. You've picked up some new skills, learned what to watch for on certain fabrics, and he got some new pants. Next time you'll fly through those nasty instructions and have an even better gift for Tony.
Hi Rhonda, Just read Kimberlee's post (Kim's Kouture) and she is planning a Sew Together project, pants similar to these, that might interest you. The pockets may not seem confusing when sewing along side someone else. :)
Thought of you when I read it. Have a great day. Ann
http://kims-kouture.blogspot.com/2010/03/mccalls-6034-lets-sew-together.html
Post a Comment