Monday, February 27, 2012

We Can READ Again !! ;D


Sometimes a play toy comes along that brings back a blessing in our lives ;D In this case, a Kobo ("book" scrambled ;D ) e-Reader... Our Erik got one for me, RHOnda, for Christmas. I have been a lover of books since I was a pre-toddler ;D. And had had to give up reading because of failing eyes. Here comes e-Reader to the rescue!! I can increase the font several times and read away. One book aloud to TOon daily. (LOVE to read aloud--brings out the actress in me ;D ). And one for my personal enjoyment.

Below is a listing of the books RHOTO has completed together:

"The Prince and the Pauper" by Mark Twain


Lots of lessens here... For both the Prince and the Pauper. Also for us, as we discussed every insight. Very surprising to see Mark Twain delve so deeply into British history.


"Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens


As was common in this era, the book was released weekly in a newspaper rag. So, the 53 chapters. Very good book. We got the movie and CD for a joint Valentine's Day gift. Looking forward to sharing same with TOon. It's not so complicated with characters and sub-plots ;/.

This reading time is a very special treat for RHOTO!! We discuss characters, analyse chapters. Revel in the (sometimes lost) thrill of the spoken/written word. (Just ASK us if we "miss" TV. ;D )


We are now beginning...

"Return to Sender" by Julia Alvares


SUPER read!! Learning about a Vermont farm family and the illegal Mexicans who have come to help/save their farm. The story is being told by ten-years old children in each family.


RHOnda has also read:

The next four (4) books are by historian Alison Weir...

"The Lady Elizabeth" by Alison Weir


This is a "historical novel". It is a new direction for Ms. Weir, and I commend her writing stylel; she is a well-honoured historian, so does not run a muck with the fiction part. It's also first of this kind of book that I've ever read. Very nice. Easier reading, not filled with dates and facts like those written below...


"The Children of Henry VIII" by Alison Weir


An historical book. Reads like a phD thesis, in some respects. However, for me--a lifetime avid British monarchy student/buff--was very interesting and thoughtful reading. (Did you know Henry acknowledged four children?)


"The Six Wives of Henry VIII" by Alison Weir


Well, ONE thing I "finally" got straight: annulled, beheaded, died, annulled, beheaded, widow of dead Henry. Oh, the wants, willfullness and scheming to (try to) fulfill Henry's needs.


"The Lady in the Tower--The Fall of Anne Boleyn" by Alison Weir


Now this one is an eye-opener. After all is said and done, this reader concurs with Ms. Weir that Anne was an innocent victim of a (multiple persons) plot to just "get rid of her". May we never see this type of tyranny on British soil again! :O

I am 1/2 English and 1/2 Irish myself, and my two (2) parents, also :O!! It doesn't come "naturally" that a Brit is a Monarchist. But, for me--one who has a passion for history and for many -ology(ies)--these stories held me understand/shape my opinions/understand of who "we" are, where we've come from... and why we are, as we are.

There's lots about being Brit that I am ashamed of. That I have had to question in my personality and my attitudes. That encourages me to become--not a better Brit but--a better worldburger...

700 Sundays by Billy Crystal


This book speaks of the 700 Sundays that Billy Crystal had with his father--before his Dad's untimely death. It's very poignant, reflective, funny. There are ^&*( words. (I broke my forever rule of throwing out a book at the first *. 'Felt there were things to hear, learn, in spite of ^&*(.) I have since sent a copy to a dear friend.


I have just opened:

"A Grief Observed" by C.S. Lewis



I have also started, half-read, rejected several books. This is a "new idea" for me and actually encourages me to try different types of books.

No comments: