Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wrong Fabric... AGAIN!!


Yup!! I did it AGAIN!! 'Bought the "wrong fabric", that is... Never mind the details * of "this time", it's the pattern (other meaning ;) ) that I'm talking about, eh.
I've read and re-read "the book". I can identify most of the fabrics in the store. I feel ready. Off I go to our local Fabricville...
I fall in love with the colour. I hold the fabric up to me in the mirror and my face "snaps", clear and shining. I check the fabric requirements on the sewing pattern. Check! The price is right. There's enough fabric left on the bolt. I head for the cutting table. It's mine!! I'm grinning and excited...
I go home and start to brood. What's wrong with this stuff?? The same thing as before--the DRAPE or non-drape, that is!! It's too heavy/stiff/bulky...
Wrong fabric... AGAIN!!
So, TOny chips in and asks, "What else can you do with the fabric?" I don't know... He suggests looking in the encyclopedia for a country flag that has that colour in it (!!). 'Told him, "it's too heavy to wave!" TOny responded, "Not if there's a really strong wind". ALWAYS the optomist, my TOny, eh!!
RHOnda
* Ok, I'll 'fess... Heavy, burgundy stretch corduroy with silver metallic threads... One metre @ $2.00 (originally $14.00); no problem with that. But, it was "meant" to make a holiday vest. Ooophs! I'll try again, eh!!

5 comments:

Sherril said...

Rhonda, a vest doesn't need drapey fabric. If a garment fits close, it can be a bit stiff. That fabric sounds lovely. Wash it a couple of times and see what happens.

Rhoto said...

Well, I didn't think of washing it a couple of times, Sherril...
Worth trying, eh!!
Thanks! If it works, I'll name the vest after you!!
Rhonda

Keely said...

I think the fabric sounds great for a vest. If washing it doesn't soften it up enough, what about a holiday cushion, christmas stockings with a bit of white fur trim....

Rhoto said...

Hi keely!!
Well, I've washed/dried the fabric 3xs... SEEMS softer.
Your ideas are cute!! I'll probably have "room" for a stocking, too eh!!
Thanks!
RHOnda

Kat said...

Good luck with the vest! I hope it turns out right with the fabric. Give it a try :) . I think you'll be able to make it work.