Friday, May 29, 2009

Lined Corduroy Vest in the Works!!


I "talked about" this vest a long time ago... Well, today I 'finally cut out fashion fabric!! It's a very soft, baby-wale corduroy (brown with little rosy flowers). So, there's still Brown Bemberg to cut and "to-be-selected" interfacing to go in this step...
I tell ya, I cut the pattern pieces "as is". 'Scardy cat that I am... I really would like to have a lower neckline. This vest pattern seems QUITE uptight looking/feeling. ("Funny", too... The photo looks like there's a waist curve. The pattern is quite straight up-and-down.) The photo of another pattern below looks more appealing...

The "scary" part for me is that the brown vest is less fitted than the red/gold. Should I "line up" the princess seams of the two (2) patterns and trace the more open "V" on my working pattern/then to fabric piece?? OR should I line up the center fronts? :( ;)
THANKS for your help!! THANKS, again, Sherril Miller for encouraging me to sew to fit TODAY and not for when I lose 15# more!!
RHOnda
UPDATE for Saturday:
After shopping for buttons--both at home & at the store ;)--, I decided to make fabric-covered buttons. They turned out really cute. Then, TOny and our Erik (in from Toronto) played "judge". I applied three (3), different interfacings to 1/2 sides of three (3) 6" squares (got that?). They decided which one "felt" the best.
Tomorrow, I WILL alter the front edge. Thanks for your advice, Sherril!! AND (learn how to) thread my serger.
It's PROGRESS in Montreal!!
RHOnda

2 comments:

Sherril said...

Rhonda, do you have a variform curve ruler? All you have to do is mark a spot on center front to how low you want to go and use a dressmaker curve to draw a line down from the shoulder to the mark and cut away. I guess you could match CF and waist on both patterns and trace but no reason you can't do it freehand with a curve ruler either.

gwensews said...

Good for you! Looking forward to seeing your finished garment!