Friday, February 5, 2010

"Little House" meets "Darth Vader"??


Well, TOny thinks it's "cute!!"... I've gotten in touch with my ancestral womanhood...

I (RHOnda) got this "bright idea" to solve a problem... (See, women can problem-solve, too, eh!!) I am a faithful wearer of a CPAP mask * that leaves my hair greasy every morning. Well, since my "do" takes a bit of time, I'm not crazy about washin' my hair in the AM....

SEW, what to do?? Make a granny night cap!! I tried on my own, without a pattern (as it IS a simple design, eh!), but wasn't "quite there". 'Found this Simplicity 3723 Historical Costumes pattern that happens to feature "it"!!

'Used a soft cotton (2/3 yard or 0.60m). Was really perplexed about HOW I was going to transfer the casing lines onto the fabric!!! 'Pulled out the tracing paper/wheel, pencils, chalk...FINALLY figured out to measure the distances from the outer edge and mark my sewing line on masking tape to follow around.

Did I tell ya I serged the outer rim!! I sewed ROUND on Serge!! Yippy!!

The pattern suggested adding a flat trim onto the outside rim... NO, ma'am!! I wanted eyelet!! SEW, since I was too scardey-cat to serge with the eyelet inside, I hand-basted all around... "ARE YOU NUTS!!" I can hear ya say... Yup!! I LIKE hand-basting. It's very ZEN 'cos it can be a mess as long as you "hit" within the desired area ;)
Guess what?? CUTE hat, but the eyelet added a LOT of heavy body to the night cap!!

NOW, on to the "proposed use" of this dear flopsy... A photo of moi a-wearin' Little House with Darth Vader... Be prepared!! :o

NOW, why would I "bother" you with this silly Review?? I can't imagine lots of you running out for this pattern!! And, I DID have help from the Girls' version (S3725) reviewed by "JenSews2." But--ya know--we beginners/advanced beginners hopefully learn lots and lots and grow in confidence with each project we "tackle"!! Ya don't start out with wedding gowns, eh, ConnieBJ??!! ;)

RHOnda

* A continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine used for the treatment of sleep apnea at home.

4 comments:

~katie~ said...

Rhonda, you are too cute!! :-) If you say you resemble Darth Vader with the CPAP mask...well, I say you are the cutest Darth Vader I've ever seen! :-)

I am so inspired by your sewing abilities! Your night cap looks great....and I am a huge fan of Laura Ingalls and Little House! :-)

Neat post!

Blessings,
Katie

Rhoto said...

"Wish you and I lived next door,
Sew we could get together some ;)"
Soft hugs, Katie!!
RHOnda

Ann Made Studio said...

Too cute :) and each project just adds to ones skill so all projects are worthwhile :)

Kat said...

Very cute, Rhonda :) !