Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Need a Sewing Machine - HELP!?



OK...  Here's the scenario!!  I've got "Ziggy", a beginner, white plastic Kenmore machine.  That doesn't make consistently nice stitches or good buttonholes, even after two (2) trips to Hospital....   I've got "HA HA", a'70s mechanical Kenmore machine who, after two (2) trips to said Hospital, needs airplane earplugs to run 'em (broken shaft)...  And, I've got "Re-nee", a later '70s mechanical Kenmore machine who doesn't give consistently nice stitches...

See a pattern adjustment needed here?? :'(

Sew, I'm looking for YOUR recommendation of what new machine to buy.  What I WANT is a machine that sews beautiful, straight stitches.  'Don't want/need extravagant bells & whistles (like embroidery; won't use 'em).  'Want to know that when I have an hour to sew, I won't spend my time wigglin' this and that part, trying' to get an "ok :/)" seam.


What machine makes YOUR heart & soul sing??  DO share!! ;)


RHOnda

Pic above is of Singer CG550--a possibility??  Yes? No!



RE-Nee


Ziggy


HA HA

3 comments:

~katie~ said...

Ok, I just love how you name your sewing machines! We have a plant named "Chloe" that we've had since we were first married ~ so she's 11 years old now and has had many offspring around our house! :-)

As for your question, as you know, I am a novice in the sewing dept. ~ so I cannot advise! I was blessed to receive my grandmother's sewing machine (a Singer), but I haven't used it yet. (Still use my cheapo one...) :-) Anyway, will be interested to hear what others have to say!

Hope you are well,
Katie

Ann Made Studio said...

I would have to say a Husqvarna.

Husqvarna was one of my first machines and I am sure they would have what you are looking for...they have everything from beginner/basic machines to top of the line embroidery. I have 2 Husqvarna sewing machines and a serger :) so I can honestly say they are a very reliable brand. I just love my machines.

Good Luck :)

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/ca/en/3172_4672.htm

Claire S. said...

Aha - so this is why you asked which ONE I would keep !

Well, as it stands now, I've got 2 current (sort of) and 4 vintage machines (the Necchi and the 3 Singer 99Ks).

I'm really enjoying the Necchi, the bonus is that it will do a zigzag.

My plastic Kenmore was the first and while I haven't had any trouble with it, it's not the one I would keep. In all the time I've had it, I've only ever used the straigth, zigzag and blindstitch stitches - so I know I don't need a fancy computerized machine with a zillion stitches. Basic will work for me.

The 99Ks are straight stitch only. DH is just now rewiring them and cleaning them up for me (gotta love that man !) so I don't know how they will sew. Without zigzag, they wouldn't be keepers either, though (at least not as my only machine)

I guess I narrowed it down to the Necchi - mechanical, sturdy, quiet, reliable, straight and zigzag stitches, lovely-lovely straight stitches.

That being said, I wouldn't give up the serger, either !

If you do decide to look into the vintage machines, I've seen a few in the local Village du Valeur and the Renaissance in NDG(QC equivalent of Goodwill)

Good luck with your decision.