Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Saint Patty's Day

I, RHOnda, am 1/2 Irish and 1/2 English--on both sides of my family, eh ;) (We go far back, though, before we reach the Immigrant grandparents.)
In the past, I used to play "Danny Boy" for Dad on the piano. Today, my brother called me 'cos it's a special day to remember our Mom. She had an Irish mother and an English father. It was "cool" to listen to Granny speak with her Irish brogue;)
So, Saint Patrick's Day is a time to remember our roots and where lots of our strength comes from--faithful and persistent Irish family members;). People who have overcome and survived huge obstacles and still retained a real Irish wit :)



RHOnda

2 comments:

Keely said...

What a lovely tradition! It's always so much fun looking back on family histories. My maternal grandad was Irish Catholic and disowned by his wealthy family when he fell in love with my East London Protestant English grandmother. What made family gatherings 'fun' was that my father's parents were staunchly anti-Catholic and hated that my Dad converted for my Mother, lol. Occasionally I joke with DH that I'll have to leave him because my parents both liked him so I must be doing something wrong. :)

Rhoto said...

Hi Keely!!
1/2 Irish, 1/2 English parents (both) and Dad Protestant made for a "rowdy" family... It's in the genes, eh!! (No one wore jeans ;)
Wonderful to hear from you ;)
RHOnda